Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Raising Pups, Me Style

These are our pups: the whiter female is my Izabeau (Did anyone see the movie Lady Hawk?), and the darker male is my oldest daughter's Zedakia :)) They are so lovable!! They are about 5 weeks old, wolf/husky/German Shepard.
Since they are a lotta wolf, I wanted to do some research on wolfdog raising, and I was starting to feel discouraged until I realized something: Will the John Holts and Pam Leos and Dayna Martins of animal experts please stand up? I was reading about "how wolfpups are/need to be raised/will grow up to be", but what I was hearing was all the child experts who don't understand my style of parenting. Are these "wolf experts" REALLY so blind to their own role in the temperaments and characters of the wolves they have raised? Are the people who say you can't radically unschool wolf pups or dogs REALLY basing their judgments off of animals who have not been radically unschooled, so it wouldn't apply? That's like taking a bunch of publicly schooled kids and saying homeschooling doesn't work!
So, I've decided to set the "experts" back on their shelves -- I've got this. Calm, respectful, connected, enjoyable, present living is all we need. We got this ;)

No comments: