Monday, January 31, 2011

Super Green Simplicity

I have been doing some major stuff renovation of my home -- simplifying and rearranging on the deepest level. I usually focus a lot on the deconstructing (getting rid of stuff, breaking down emotional barriers to refind simplicity), and this time I have been focusing a lot on the reconstructing, too -- trying to get in tune with my most basic needs and building upon them, creating systems destined for success. I want to share a bit with you, in case it speaks to you the way it is all resonating so deeply for me :))

So, maybe you can elaborate the analogy if I explain where I started: the bathroom. Instead of just taking stuff out of my bathroom that I don't want or use and passing it along, I took everything out, deep cleaned it, and looked at my empty bathroom and asked myself how I could keep it this energy-flowing and clean. I decided my way was to keep the surfaces clear of stuff, make it beautiful (so I would want it to be clean), make it smell good (so it was inviting), and develop a system that would make it easy to maintain.

One of my solutions was to only bring in stuff that would fit tucked away in drawers and cabinets. I thought about my daily and after-shower routines, about my ways to pamper myself, about how my bathroom gets messy and dirty.

I'm super simple in the health and beauty area, so my list of things to keep was very short - and I was ruthless about not bringing in things I don't use at least once a week, which was easy for me since if I am ever going to do something worth doing, it would be within a week. I left the rest of the stuff in the box, with no commitment to get rid of it or anything that might create an emotional upheaval -- I just pushed the "pack it all up box" box into the next room and enjoyed my simple clean bathroom. Note, I didn't try to "unpack the box" or find places for things -- I looked at my needs and collected stuff from the box, as I recalled from memory what I really would need and use.

Next, as I put those things away, I thought about how I could make those simple body care things greener, what I was ready to do and what I wasn't (like I want to make my own deoderant and face cleaner and use food-safe oils instead of lotions and try out a "no 'poo" method, but I'm not ready to give up my Colgate Total toothpaste just yet). I made a list of the things I wanted to replace and the supplies I would need to do it (Internet research).

After situating my body care stuff, I did the same thing for my "pamper me" stuff -- make up (I like the "natural beauty" look with maybe a touch of flare for special occasions), jewelry (what could I realistically see me wearing with what clothes I wear -- again, I'm simple), and massage stuff.

To make it beautiful, I have plans to soften it a bit with some fabric (I have glass shower doors, so I will drape a long pretty scarf across the top over the metal), decorate the corners of the mirrors with dry-erase markers to make it look like a frame, dye my towels a new color (they are about 7 years old, so they are excited about their new look :)), and I am going to make some new family cloth.

To smell good, I am going to put some essential oils in a little ceramic holder. I prefer the smells of aromatherapy to chemicals, even perfume.

As for a system for cleaning. The first step was to clear off counters and the floor (like, I bought my baby a padded seat for the toilet and took out her potty chair). I also plan to use a resource I already have: dirty laundry. I will wipe the sink down or dust everytime I take something off, and I will toss it onto the floor to step on instead of a bath rug that attracts dirt and requires more loads of laundry to be done over the month, and after I get out of the shower, I can mop the high-traffic floor area real fast with the clothes before I toss them into the dirty laundry hamper (which will be right outside my door).

I started with the bathrooms, because they are easiest for me. For some reason, the place I go to clean and rejuvinate my energy (throug self care) seems to be the easiest for me to be clear about my needs and how to build upon them with my values. Some of the stuff I mentioned I've been doing, and some of it just newly clicked like a combination lock. As I'm getting my bathroom system into habit, I am branching out -- the next room I did was my son's bedroom/playroom. Another easy one for me, especially when I put bookcases in the closet for less-played with toys, so his bedroom is rich with his simple favorites and lots of room to play. The next room.... Ugh. Mine. I'll let you know how it goes :)

1 comment:

Nikki Starcat Shields said...

I love how you're combining physical cleansing and energy cleansing. The room that's "the center" for me is my bedroom. It has to be clean, or at least tidy, or I notice my energy isn't as peaceful, or it's harder to recharge, or something.

Blessings on your project!
Starcat