Sunday, May 1, 2011

I Think This is It

***note, I only included names of people whose blogs I can link to, so don't feel left out if I didn't include your name ♥

So, this is our travel plan -- disregard anything from the past that might be confusing, and take this account as the new whole deal :)))

In mid-to-late June, we will have an appointment that may dictate what day we actually get out the door, so I can't set up a launch date at this time. What we have decided to do is leave the house and plants and cats with my brother until November and tow a pop-up trailer with our minivan. This enables lots of things.

Firstly, I know my van is good, and I just will never know with a used RV (and the ones in our price range are like 20 years old!). Also, our van gets 3 times better gas mileage than an RV would, and for a family who wants to hurry around the entire country to see people, this matters very much right now.

A pop-up trailer is perfect for us, because it will be light enough for my minivan to tow and provide the basic necessities (a kitchen with fridge, a dinette, and 2 big beds with the option to convert the dinette into another bed), which will make a perfect little need-meeting home-base when we are in transit or transition so often for an extended period of time.

And leaving the house allows us storage for the stuff we want to bring into an RV but not into a van/pop-up trailer set-up. It allows me time to take care of some bigger projects that I'd rather not force to get done with everything else I need to do by June. My cats get to stay in the comfort of the home they have known for the last year-ish with my brother who has lived with us most of their lives and love very much. We get to have a mailing address and someone I trust to check my mail for me. And this allows us to have my brother fix the house up for probable-move-out (without my kids and dog thrashing it along the way) upon our return, while my brother gets to stay somewhere for very little rent and responsibility while he saves up to do his thing.

So, we head out in mid- or late-June and will drive California Highway 1, which goes right along the ocean coast, so we can soak in one of the most gorgeous drives in all of America. We are going to stop in the San Fransisco area the first night and stay for a couple days visiting loved ones in the area and seeing some sites.

Then we will head up into Oregon along the 1 and 101 to visit my dear MB and the Oregon green mountainy coast sites <3 On June 30th, we will head out, to Washington for our first Rainbow Gathering, which goes from July 1st-7th. A tent and airbed will have to do while we are more focused on connecting with a family/community that I feel like I have been searching my whole life for ♥

Once the Rainbow Gathering is over, we plan to spend another weekish in Washington with loved ones in the area and checking out sites :)) Then, we are going to spend the rest of July tracing the northernmost states east. I will be spending some much-needed solitude time to reflect on the Gathering and life and what all of this travel and connection means. And the kids will be exploring nature and our family ties.

We have about 3 weeks to slowly head east, with the "plan" being that we will spend August in the Ohio area. I say "area" because Ohio is actually only one of the states we will be setting up home (including Illinois and maybe another state or so that I am not certain of). I am hoping to spend about a week (give-or-take based on driving time) at a time in 4 different places in the "Ohio area", visiting dearly-missed family in Chicago and friends like Kristin and Abby and Laura and other non-bloggers like my longest-friend, Amy :))

When September comes, we hope to be off toward Maine, to see my dear Nikki/Starcat, other dear loved ones along the way, and some soul-healing sites (like, hopefully, a hike up the tallest peak on the east coast, to be the first ones in the U.S. to see the sun rise that day). Then we will follow the entire east coast south and see many loved ones (mostly family on the kids' dad's side, sprinkled with dear friends like Jen), until we find ourselves in Florida for the rest of September and maybe part of October. The kids' dad lives in Florida, as well as some other loved ones that we want to spend lots of time with (Kim and Grace!!!!) <3 We may drive down the Florida Keys (or at least some of them), and I would like to follow the sun across the sky one day (watch it rise on one coast and set on the other coast).

The last leg of the journey is all up in the air. Partly depending on whether certain events are going to take place. Partly depending on our budget. Partly depending on the dates and how long we spent in Florida. Partly depending on if we want to relax more, race home fast, stop a million more places, or any other variation of these things.

These are some of our options:
  • loved ones in Texas
  • family reuinion in Oklahoma in early October
  • family/friends in Kansas
  • loved ones and sites to see in Colorado (we used to live there, so I anticipate this taking a lot of time)
  • sites to see in New Mexico
  • family in Arizona
  • family and friends in east California, like Kimra
If we rush back to our house from Florida, in the least, we will stop to see folks in Texas and maybe in Arizona (but that is close enough that we can visit them again in the near future, if we don't have time or energy to stop and make camp again before racing home). If we rush through this time, our next trip will start off spending a lot more time in these places we will miss. Yes, I already have a second trip (more for sight-seeing and such) percolating and formulating.

For those of you who are more visually-inclined, our trip will look roughly like this:


That is about 6 months, all 4 corners of the continental U.S., a multitude of diverse landscapes, and lots of connection. It will be a food experience-extravaganza, an adventure of the senses. I am aiming for a formula that looks something like this:
  • 70% time with beloveds
  • 25% time solitude/me-and-the-kids time (some of this will be during driving, some during transitional camping days, and some during searching out sites that heal the soul)
  • 5% of our time purely for site-seeing (that means more for the sites than for the inner healing the sites might do)
This trip is more for the people than the places, but needs a good flavor of places, too :)) We are going through the north first when there is less chance of weather that will be too cold to enjoy sleeping in our pop-up trailer. We will be driving through the north east during September when we should have some of the most spectacular views of fall that I have ever seen (my favorite season). We plan to drive back along the south during the colder months, in hopes that it will be the warmest areas of the US during that season (and the coolest times of year for those desserts!).

The trip will determine what sight-seeing we will actually have time for, and a lot of our trip will be learn-as-we-go -- like how well the babies will do for the driving part of the whole journey, as well as the constant transitioning part. I will follow their needs. I want to move slowly and make sure we all feel like our trailer is homebase, just with different views :)) Google Maps calculates that we could make the trip in 6 days, 5 hours. Stretching that out over 6 months feels slow and relaxing (the point), so we shall see how that actually translates.

When we get home, we will decide what we want to do at that point. We may want to stay in our house (for who-knows how long), or we may want to ditch the house and get an RV-as-home, or we may want to continue in our van/pop-up trailer set up (maybe with some improvements, like a solar panel system and an outdoor shower and an awning and a storage container on the roof of the van), or we may find a whole different idea at that point :)) I love options :D

The main goal for this trip: see the people we love. Because as soon as I realized we could buy an RV and go see all of you, and then calculated the cost of gas and maintenance, I realized that it would take way too long to see some of you further-away-beloveds. So, this trip is about meeting/seeing everyone and getting a feel for long-term traveling.

Real full-timing, for me, will be when we have no house (crazy octopus leg squiggling outside of my tightly contained jar of responsibility). That will be true freedom for me. Of course, if we get rid of the house, we will have to find a solution for the cats. I don't think they will be comfortable in a pop-up trailer or a minivan LOL If we had an RV, I would preserve a special spot for them ♥ But an RV takes me back to my original delima of gas mileage and maintenance. So, we shall see. The beauty of living a nomadic life, is that change and creativity are embedded in the foundation of thinking, and this leavess infinite possibilities :)))

6 comments:

Melissa said...

It sounds like your OH time may be a bit busy, but we would love to meet up with a fellow kindred spirit! We live in Medina, just south of Cleveland. Happy traveling!

ReGenerative LIving said...

coolness, looks I'm on your route! :)

Anonymous said...

<3 Yay, we'll have lots of fun stuff to do all together when you're here. I am so envious of your upcoming adventure! I have all of July off, maybe I'll even try to make the Rainbow Gathering, don't know if that is feasible or not. BTW, I think the van & pop-up are a safer choice as far as having the kids strapped in and safe while in motion. But, you also get to pull a cozy little home behind you! I hope to do this in a few years, after I finish my degree, I want to spend a year touring the country for places we'd like to live and alternative schools that might be a good fit for Aura and (a big IF here) hopefully hire me too. I'm so excited to finally see you. Having the three of us and all the kids together will be bliss. BTW, Aura's birthday is in September and mine is in October, so I'm taking your visit as a birthday present either way.

mrsalf97 said...

And then you will be heading down south, right? ;o)

Nikki Starcat Shields said...

Yay, so glad we're on the itinerary! It will be so much fun! <3

mrsalf97 said...

Posted before I finished reading. lol So, I'll get to meet you this winter, yipee! I'm hopeful that my family will be on the road by the time you are in Florida and that's were we are starting since we are wanting to relocate there.