Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Untangles

I have been untangling some very foundational stuff recently, in light of my realizations over the last week concerning seeing my own issues for what they are.

I am scared other people (and myself) won't have enough information at a time in their life to make a decision they won't regret. How many times in my life have I found out about something and wished I had known it all along? But, now, I am wondering if I was REALLY that bad off before I found it anyway. I mean, gosh, we have always lived to be happy, and sure there was struggle, but do I REALLY regret it? Mostly no -- a couple occasions I do regret, but they have less to do with not having information, and more to do with not listening to my screaming insides and finding a way to follow them instead of going through with what I knew was wrong.

Realizing that it is less about information and more about enjoying the dance of living for what it is liberates me from being the info pack rat that I used to very much be. It also helps me to find a better connection with people. I don't have to hold a space of worry for them. I can truly appreciate their journey for exactly what it is and not flood it with my own stuff. I don't have to worry about their ability to make choices for their lives. I can trust their journey. Those are amazing things to do for people, but they are amazing things to do even more fully for myself, too <3

This goes along with my feelings concerning listening to myself more than listening to "experts", as if I or my kids need them to be happy. Reminds me of a Byron Katie quote that goes something like, "If happiness were dependent on external factors, there would be no such thing as happiness." I am so blessed to know that I am happy regardless, partly because I follow my bliss :))

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are your own "expert"!! When we listen to what others provide as information or advice we must remember that everyone and every situation is unique. Their understanding/experience of life will always be different from ours, even if we have a lot in common.
I love reading your blogs and many others! but if we took everyones advice i would never have any unique material to blog about :)

Nova said...

Ain't that the truth, Abby!!! I like to use the word "inpert" :))