Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Creativity and Good Stuff All Over the Place

A couple days ago, we had a wild little day of creativity, productivity, fun, beauty, outdoors beautiful fresh air, and connection :)) My oldest and I were up early, so we decided to paint some furniture we had been rescuing and storing in our garage. I wish I had taken "before" pics (I always think of that after the fact!), because you would be so impressed by me :))

Lemme tell you a bit about why I loved this project....

First of all, this furniture was headed to the dump, and I love reviving life into things, so they can live longer :)))

Secondly, this is the first time I have painted furniture and my color palette is so bright and full of variety now, it was the perfect time in my life to start undertaking this project :))) Not to mention, I wasn't afraid of getting wild, after the bathroom turned out so good, so I had even more fun!

Thirdly, it got me and the kids outside (Kass and I painted out in front of the garage, while the babies climbed the tree across from us and played with skateboards and scooters and had a picnic -- fake food, gosh, they are so cute!).

Fourthly, Kass and I got to have fun talking (about anime, mostly) the whole time we were working :)))))) It is so wonderful to connect with her, especially when it means we have some time to ourselves while the babies are happy doing their own thing.

Fifthly, and not to say the least, my garage is now empty of all these items and my house looks even better (and I'm so proud of it!), and I felt SO productive, especially for being so early in the day!! :))

So, here are the "after" pics of the pieces :))

This piece was formerly a very ugly red stain with a big burn mark on the top and very dirty when we found it abandoned in front of someone's house who was moving. It's the piece we brought home and inspired us to get to work right away :))


Cute little drawer

This is my pride and joy! It was just a light colored wood missing most of it's finish and dirty and abandoned by the dumpsters where we live... And I am SO deeply in love with these rich and vibrant colors (especially purple!!!!), and I'm so proud of all the detailing :)))) In all honesty, I thought the dark purple was going to look different - I may spruce it up with some other color :))

This was an abandoned dresser (that I learned AFTER I painted the purple one that they are actually part of a set lol), missing the top drawer. I saw it as an entertainment center potential (I could put my tv on top, game systems in the missing slot, and movies in the drawers). It came out WAY better than I even imagined!!!!! I just love this dark earthy brown. It's called "burnt earth" or something like that, but it reminds me of rich soil :)))


There are 2 of these little tables, and they used to be a dark red stain, and they used to break (wood glue!), and now they are little tributes to the goddess :))) lol

Kass painted this part of the chair for me :))))

This (still unfinished) chair was rescued from the side of the dumpster in the rain. I saw it with just SO much potential. I rescued it to use as my crafting chair, and I am so excited about how crafty it looks :)) Honestly, the purple didn't come out the way I had hoped, and I am probably going to repaint it :/ Next to the vibrant plum box above, this color looks drab and together, they are an eye sore (and they go next to each other, so that will never work). But I loved the first draft!! :))


I was especially proud of how I did the legs, which apparently, didn't quite get captured in the pics. In the creases is the lighter purple - the dark purple is just brushed over the top. I like that dark purple, all things considered :)
We had a couple more pieces that aren't finished, so they will be in a future post :)

And I have to show my baby's contribution, after her brother had gone to sleep, and she wanted to accompany me out to do some finishing touches. She had a few finishing touches to do, herself :)



I can't tell if she loved painting or saying "cheese" for the camera more :))))

 I hope this gets your creative juices flowing :))))

1 comment:

ReGenerative LIving said...

i love these, and your bathroom as well!