Monday, May 17, 2010

Rubbings and Unschooling and Fun -- Oh, My!

So, I was reading the Big Red House blog (on my sidebar), and she mentioned tree rubbings -- oh the flood of inspiration that came over me!! So, Noble and I rushed out into the backyard, armed with crayons and plain paper :)) We started coloring on different textures, anything he or I wanted, even stuff I "knew" wouldn't leave a print (and sometimes it did! And it was all a great opportunity for Noble to learn -- and me, too, apparently!). Then we started putting stuff under our paper and coloring on it. The whole time, I was trying to remember how I was thinking we were "supposed" to do it (side of the crayon, sharp tip, etc.), and as I tried different ways, I learned lots of different techniques. Some surfaces were so pretty that I want to use these for backgrounds in my comic. No matter what I did, I learned, and it got me thinking so much about my world and materials to get creative with. Wow. So this is my end result for our short experiment in out tiny backyard :))



Then, I decided to rub on a half-finished project I am working on, which gave me the idea to make up a game where we do some rubbings around the house and trade them with each other to find what they rubbed (a rubbing scavenger hunt!!).



Doing some rubbings himself :)))

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love tree rubbings they are so fun! We also have done this on tombstones for halloween which is a lot of fun as well!

Nova said...

Oooooooh, how fun!!!!!!!