Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What I learned from Sea Lyen

Creativity all over the place :)
I can cut and create as I go, which is sooooo much funner than premade
shapes and directions, because it is more like art, where the
opportunities are limitless and tailored to my next desire. I learned
how to make a lion puppet and entertain an 8-month-old in her own
version of this craft: I put our scraps in a bag of her own and she
loved pulling them out and chewing on them -- we also brought her a
lion stuffed animal and let he gum and explore other various art and
craft supplies. I also learned how to creatively make some supplies
safe for her, like she really really really REALLY wanted the
scissors, so I wrapped the blades in some fabric and tied them closed
with another strip, and she was able to go to town on them, without me
worrying about her opening them or poking herself (note to self, buy
plastic scissors made for toddlers, but we use them for babies and let
the toddlers use whatever scissors they feel comfortable using or
interested in trying). I also go creative with his name. I asked my
son what he wanted to name his lion, and he said "sea lion"? Not sure
if he was asking if I was talking about a sea lion, but the name
sounded perfect and fun -- us ocean people :)) Then I got creative
with the spelling, knowing lions love lyin' around (gosh, I just
realized I spelled that wrong!! Rofl), and that this paper puppet
would probably spend a lot of time lyin around :)
I learned to pursue my interest:
This project was my daughter's idea (but she left early for a play
appointment), so I figured I would just help my son with his, until
crafty mama got really into it and decided to just make it for him. I
learned that if, in our future, I find myself wanting to direct his
creativity, it is just a cue for me to make my own :))
I am still not done -- being a mixed media kind of crafty mama I plan
to draw and play and explore with other mediums to enhance his lion-
ness. And I need to go fix his name, or maybe I will leave it, to be a
funny reminder of the time I was trying to be cute and creative and
got a big laugh instead :))) That is one of the best lessons in life :))

No comments: