Monday, June 21, 2010

Benefits of TV

I read this article on Dayna Martin's site unschoolingamerica.com


Why Unschoolers Rise Above Anti-TV Elitism
By, Dayna Martin
We presently live in a "book worshipping" culture. Television is definitely something that is looked down upon as a lower-form of learning and entertainment by many. TV is still so new historically. Before TV, for example, comic books and some radio shows were also thought to be destructive and evil. I know in time attitudes about TV will change. People will learn to value it for the amazing learning tool it is and not be afraid of it.


In our lives, TV is one of many options my children have to learn from and enjoy. I do not value books over TV for my children's learning. I trust them and value all of their choices and support their interests. I can't imagine how small our world would be without TV! As an Unschooling Mom, I want to give my children as BIG a world as possible! TV introduces us to so many topics and interests that we may not have learned about otherwise. We have a joyful relationship with TV!


The topics of interest that have been introduced to us through TV have been incredible! It is a window to our world! Being Homeschoolers, I love the fact that my kids know all about modern pop culture. They are able to have conversations with anyone, including kids in school about things current and popular in our world. They aren't the "weird, sheltered homeschoolers" who have no idea what Sponge bob is (for example) making them all the more different from kids their age. They feel totally "normal" around anyone because they know so much about what others are discussing in social situations.


Also, through TV, our family has witnessed True Human Potential! From skydiving, to contortionists, to people saving endangered species, to learning to cook Italian, to building a Chopper, to 'Dirty Jobs', to birth and death and love.....TV is not all doom and gloom like I was led to believe from some in the naturally minded community after I had my first son. It is not something we fear! It is something we value greatly.


There are so many awesome, interesting, enriching things on TV! Just like books, there are some good and some bad. I do not choose to never read again, just because there are books out there with something I wouldn't approve of! TV is no different. No one forces us to watch the news or things we personally don't value. Some days we watch no TV and some rainy days hours. It depends on the day. Just like reading, some days we read 10 books, some days none.


I honestly believe that my children have such an incredibly broad knowledge base, and TV has contributed to that as much as books, and every other resource we have in our lives. As Unschoolers, we use TV like a rich buffet before us. We joyfully take what we want and leave the rest!

No comments: