Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hippy

Being a single mama and staying home to raise 3 kids on a small budget
takes creativity. Some circumstances may be seen as hard for some. I
can see that. But it doesn't have to be the story I tell. I get to
chose that. I am really coming into my hippy-ness. And into my power.
I always felt unworthy of the term "hippy", like I was too neo to
deserve a title like that, like I wasn't hippy enough (kinda like how
you can't live "green" enough) because [insert horror music] I've
never listened to the Grateful Dead (!!!!!!!), but before you
completely invalidate my hippy-ness, I grew up on Janis Joplin and Bob
Marley and probably many other artists who are hippy enough.
Well, I just had a breakthrough. I was writing to my mom about our
ability to stay positive during circumstances she sees as hard, and I
wrote, "Hippies don't need money, cell phones, and electricity, as
long as there is patchouli oil and drum circles -- rofl". But
really!!!!! Some of the most spiritual people to walk this earth
liberated themselves from their attachments to things. Who needs
church and cell phones -- I'm having profound spiritual awakenings as
a mama watching my kids grow and learn and love and live and heal!
Being a mama is one of the most esoteric experiences I can imagine!!!
Who needs all that frivolous stuff to be happy or be allowed to be
positive?? Hippies don't need much more than good company, a bus, and
some earth to dance upon. Has she not read my blog description???
Hahaha.
I now dub me a hippy :) I officially accept myself :))
Btw, another "comeback" that I have been really feeling lately is "You
say that like it's a bad thing!" I mean really, some things are
overrated.

5 comments:

mb said...

ROFL at the grateful dead. well, i've listened, but i never got to see them while jerry was still alive, so i totally know what you mean about not "rating" high enough in hippydom. lol. i think people get really stuck in their perceptions of what is good/bad/hard/necessary/etc and forget to notice that when someone is exuding positivity... um, that's a GOOD thing! get on the wagon! lol. just validating you here- i can totally relate and i don't care whether you've listened to any music at all, you're still a hippy to me, if that is what you feel yourself to be. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally not into the Grateful Dead at all. But I'm definitely hippy.
And really, whatever we see ourselves as- that's what we are. We don't need a certain amount of hippy points to prove we are. It's a state of mind & not music (or fashion).

Nova said...

Exactly!!! Thank you :)) That was something that I noticed in a wonderful group of friends that I had online, we all had our strong points in various areas of alternative living and parenting. Sometimes I would see how much others did and feel "not enough", until I started comparing me with ME, not with other people :)) I am who I identify as -- it's sinking in :))

ps pirro said...

I remember leaving LA for a "more bohemian life" in the mid 90s, and a co-worker telling me I was a few decades too late. Never too late! Bohemian -- and hippie -- are a state of mind, not a point in history. xox.

Nova said...

I love that! Thank you :))