Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Monopoly on Healthy Kids

This is an excerpt from something I wrote back in January:

I was talking with my son's dad about my parenting style, and it kinda clicked for me that although I love my new parenting style, I don't think we have a monopoly on happy, well-adjusted kids. What I think it does is aligns with my personal and parenting values of freedom, authenticity, dignity, self-guidance and more; it aligns with my means and my goals. I don't think it is objectively the best way to raise a child - it is a very subjectively valued thing. I mean, me as a fellow mom, sees it as the best for children and wishes it for every child, but on a bigger scale, I feel like I know that is a subjective judgment. The scary part about proclaiming it is the best way to raise a child is that, best case scenario, people expect radically unschooled kids to be child prodogies or excel in some ways. I think it is fair to say that RUed kids are kids, just accepted for who they are and possibly more in-touch with themselves and their personal goals than the average traditionally schooled and parented child. It is amazing and exciting and wonderful to me, to the umpth degree, but it is also "so what"/normal  to me. I often find traditional or mainstream groups having the impression that their way of doing things has the monopoly on safety, child's best interests, adjustment for future life, etc., and I realized that I don't want to feel that way back.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love this Vanessa. I don't remember where I heard or read this but I think it goes along with this blog and it is such a simple quote:

"It is my child's journey, not mine".

I try to remind myself of this ALL the time and sometimes I have to find a way to kindly remind others in Luis' life. There are so many "experts" out there but my son should be the only expert for *his* life.

Nova said...

Wow, Tiffany, I really love that quote. It reminds me so much of Abraham Hicks' perspective on all of this. I think I could name a few other people who advocate for this, too. It is so simple and perfect! I love it :))