I wrote this on another blog I had started, many moons ago. Since this blog is now going to be whole, representing all of me and all of my life, I wanted to share it with you here. This was the description about me on the blog: "I have been on a journey of self for as long as I can remember. I grew up with a nature-oriented, female-empowered mother. I took a detour. This blog is my journey back home."

Here is the header I used for the blog -- I am so proud of it, so beautiful.


Unfortunately, since I first wrote this entry, I neglected the blog the same way I neglected reading more of the book. I look forward to growing a place in my life to read more of the book... Enjoy <3 The remaining is my blog post from that blog:

So, I started reading the book “Women Who Run With Wolves: Myths and stories of the wild woman archetype”, by Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Ph. D.

I feel a stirring inside me. This book speaks to the depths of me, the parts of me that long to rise and run free. I have been so domesticated, so civilized, to the expense of my self. She talks about times when we experience the wild woman archetype, maybe during pregnancy or nursing one’s young, attending to a love relationship, sights of great natural beauty, the sound of music that vibrates the sternum and excites the heart, or a word or poem or story. She calls them “tastes of the wild”. Ohhhh, have I had those tastes, and recently, they have left me longing for the whole meal, the lifestyle, the tribe of wild-hearted kindreds.

“The longing for her comes when one happens across someone who has secured this wildish relationship. The longing comes when one realizes one has given scant time to the mystic cookfire or to the dreamtime, too little time to one’s own creative life, one’s life work or one’s true loves.”

She writes, “When women are with the Wild Woman, the fact of that relationship glows through them.” Mmmmm, I’ve felt that. I’ve had days when I felt that glow (today, in fact, and it’s no coincidence — I started reading this book yesterday). Have you seen those woman? The ones who glow and seduce your soul with their allure… The ones who attract equally powerful people into their space or repel some away in fear of her power and beauty.

The author seduces me with words like “soultalk” and “soulfooting”, and talks about “our inner rhythms”.

She talks about the wild woman archetype being similar to wolves:

“Healthy wolves and healthy women share certain psychic characteristics: keen sensing, playful spirit, and a heightened capacity for devotion. Wolves and women are relational by nature, inquiring, possessed of great endurance and strength. They are deeply intuitive, intensely concerned with their young, their mate and their pack. They are experienced in adapting to constantly changing circumstances; they are fiercely stalwart and very brave.”

And they get a bad reputation for their wildness, but wild is really just scary to some because it cannot be controlled — wild has it’s own rules and balances that control cannot dictate. That’s why it is scary to some and deeply appealing to others. The author writes, “… the word wild is not used in it’s modern pejorative sense, meaning out of control, but in it’s original sense, which means to live a natural life, one is which the criatura, creature, has innate integrity and healthy boundaries.”

So, I am feeling very in tune with wolves, and I love that they have a deep relationship with the moon, as I am feeling more connected to her, too. Growing up in an earthy spirituality, it was the wildness that appealed to me, that has called to me since I left, that I long for now. Some stuff does not appeal to me about religion, even the religious aspects of earthy cultures (like hierarchies and some ceremonial stuff), but I feel very connected to a lot of the spiritual aspects, especially the stuff surrounding the power and seduction and freedom of the wild woman archetype. I very much look forward to reconnecting with it. I very much look forward to letting go of some outdated views about myself and gunk that I have been carrying around for far too long. I am ready to sit with the gods and create myself, through digging real deep and releasing the wild woman within.