Thursday, February 17, 2011

Joy in All

I have a dear Internet acquaintance who was diagnosed with cancer and continued on her journey toward understanding and sutuating herself and life in her new context. I met her closer toward the end of that chapter, and I found that when people expressed sorrow toward her, it wasn't a part of her story. She felt (it seemed to me -- and I want to get this accurate) like she found joy and self discovery in this new chapter and was able to transform feelings of pity and fear and such.

So, I keep thinking, what an amazing opportunity that ended up bringing her, and how can I relate this to other "hardships" in life? I am one who has not wished for lack of heartache for my kids' futures, and have been slowly building this to apply to other hurt.

When I think of my own life, it has been the hurt that has gotten me moving in some areas and made me stronger and given me purpose and passions. Do I wish for a hurt-free life for my kids? No. Not that I am going to purposely cause them pain.

Do I wish my loved ones didn't experience pain? Um, no -- in this context, I am sure you understand that is not meant to be mean lol. Such growth comes from whatever we feel!!!

So, I want to be WITH someone, connect with them, but not feel sorry for them or want anything to change for them (they will direct their own change).

Joy in pain and hardship? Interesting...

Btw, one of the biggest struggles with this has been trying to find what to "wish" people lol. Isn't that funny? :)

No comments: