Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Let It Flow

I had a moment yesterday of clarity, while I was painting a self-love shrine for my daughter. I kept messing up some of the movements that would make my letters more graceful and fluid-looking (more beautiful). I was holding myself back while I painted, to detail the movement. But, ironically, the more I held back to view it from the outside while I experienced it, the worse it looked and the worse I felt about it (during and after). And interestingly, the more I let it flow and just followed it, the better it looked and the better I felt about it, about future pieces, about the whole process!

The process entailed letting my wrist move how my soul inspired it and trusting that if I didn't like it, it could be changed later. The sweet liberation of impermanence! The more I embraced the flow, the better I liked what I was creating and found ways to build on it and build on it, until I had a whole room covered with self-love quotes and purple spirals that uplift and inspire me whenever I walk in.

It was as much an exercise of cultivating trust and faith in the flow of life as it was an art lesson.

That flow has been philosophized about, by artists of all kinds (writers, painters, singers, engineers, psychologists). How many times have I heard of people referring to their newest masterpiece just pouring out of them? Doesn't it seem the most amazing pieces manifested this way? Doesn't it seem the most amazing masters of their art are the ones who do this more regularly? Now that I have mentioned this, don't you want to treat life like an art and just let it flow through you?

Does this further inspire you the way it inspires me?

No comments: