Thursday, February 17, 2011

Updates and Tidbits

You may have noticed what seems to be some random posting today (and lots of it!). I am cleaning out another blog I had and posting some of it as new and some of it as archived (stuff from my journey, not info :)) I have updated the tabs at the top of the page as well, so check 'em out and provide feedback if you feel so inspired... Here are a few goodies that didn't need a whole post to each of themselves :)

We are a radical unschooling family, which is the umbrella term that describes our style of self-initiated natural learning about all aspects of life. It flavors everything in our life, from our family interaction style to personal interests. It determines the ins and outs of our daily life and our grander plans for our future. We are also a consensual living family, so we strive toward mutually-met harmony. Our family interaction style emphasizes keeping each member's internal compass intact, through trust, connection, authenticity, creativity, and lots of self-reflection.

And

I think it was Dayna Martin who shared that instead of thinking of her home as a museum, it was a workshop, a playground, a studio... This has really helped me to feel comfortable in my home. Now, when I look around, instead of seeing mess that makes my skin itch like nails on a chalkboard, I see a workshop, where clutter and mess and disaster, even, is expected and accepted. I still would like it to be clean (ideally, I want to clean dirt during the day and straighten up at night before bed), but I am completely embracing of it in whatever state it is in now. One simple word: workshop; and my whole perspective on a huge issue in my life changes. Amazing...

And

Daily Affirmation. I thought this might be a wonderful way to start off each day. I got it off the Rethinking Everything Conference e-mail update:

I am here for this and much more.
I am here knowing nothing & embracing it all.
I give my self fully in service, not because it is good or right but because it is what I want.
This is not a task but a dance, a dance that I love. I am ready.

And

Strewing is one of my favorite unschooling concepts. Strewing is the act of introducing new things into life - it is like tossing new things into a child's path (and your own), and sometimes they lead to deeper interests in them. Some examples could be going to a museum, picking up some books from the library and leaving them somewhere in their view, going to a park day with a new group, making a food dish from another country, seeing a movie, getting cable, etc. The things is, though, to not get attached to the outcome of a child being interested in going further with it. It is just doing it for the sake of doing it. I trust that if my child is "meant" to learn more about it, they will show interest, and we can go from there.

One of the main reasons I love the concept of strewing is because I don't feel so much pressure. I feel very comfortable with a seperateness of "our stuff" and "new stuff", which helps me to prioretize my energy. For me, organizing life in this way really helps me to not over-commit, which I do SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. And then I can add a thing here or there and see if it takes, then incorporate it into our life before moving on to find another opportunity for strewing :)

**I have just started to see something else as strewing: my experience and opinions and whatever I have to offer my kids. So, when something happens that provides opportunity for me to talk, I understand that my POV is an opportunity for strewing :)

And

(from a yahoo group -- author not me) Is there anything that happened to you when you were the same age as your son? It is common for your painful memories from your childhood to surface screaming for you to notice and integrate and release them when your child is the age you were when it happened.

And

The mental state called worrying is dreaming while we are awake.

Our worries also cause us to experience fear, anger, and grief.

Yet, when we extract ourselves from this mental daydream and examine our thoughts objectively, we perceive a worry as it is: A thought about something not yet occurred.

Therefore, a worry is an illusion; it contains no substance.

However, because of our inherent creative abilities, when we entertain a particular worry long enough, when it becomes a repetitive loop in our inner dialog, at some point on our timeline it manifests as an actual physical circumstance.

Why? Because worrying is a powerful prayer.

--Michael Brown

And

Posted on another group, I wanted to share how this phrase can be used as a tool. The phrase, "I love myself unconditionally" does not move me the way "What would it be like if I loved myself unconditionally?" Wow. I get flooded with possibilities with the second. So wanted to share this tool :)

And

"How much of your day is consumed by what you perceive you have to do? Rules you think you have to follow? Games you believe you have to play? What can you do to get out from under it all? QUIT! It's the one choice we never seriously consider. Quit something you feel you must do and you'll soon discover that you never had to do it in the first place. In the process you'll discover what you really want to do. By letting go, you'll experience the genuine fullness and vitality of truly living. Quitting is an easy read and it will free you in all aspects of your life." -- Jerry Stocking

No comments: