Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Many Blessings

Now that I am getting my home together (btw, adding a second couch shifted the feeling in my living room, and my "house" instantly felt more inviting, more HOMEy -- the word just slides right out now without coaxing or thought), I have many times a day when I am repeating tasks that once felt boring or frustrating or hopeless. It is one reason why I gave up for so long, why I went on strike so often.

But today is a new day. I asked myself why people go on strike -- they feel underappreciated, they feel underpaid, they feel their job has no meaning or worth, it doesn't provide what they want. So, I decided to do something about that.

I appreciate me. Very much. And I tell myself this as often as possible -- outloud sometimes even :)

I take moments in the day and count my blessings, like a snapshot of gratefulness and love of my life.

I have changed things so that I DO love them and enjoy them and want to do them (like making things easier to clean and making places so beautiful I WANT them to be clean and I feel inspired to do it by their beauty).

I try to stay mindful to bless everything. How I shifted from the kitchen once being my arch-nemesis to it now being one of my favorite rooms in the house, is that I started blessing everything I touch. "Thank you for providing a beautiful natural spot to place my child's meal," I might tell the wooden plate as I wash it (I love wood -- in another life, I may have been a faery, or at least a Waldorf teacher). And as I set that plate in the rack to dry, I bless it for the future meal for my child or myself that it might hold.

As I am preparing food for my child, I bless it for the nourishment it will bring them. It makes the preparing of a meal or a snack feel so much more nourishing, too :) And I have found it cuts back on some certain foods that I refuse to think villainously about -- but nonetheless, we are naturally eating less processed, "empty calorie" foods. It's harder and harder for me to bless them for nourishment or deliciousness or anything except for whatever my child wants to get out of the experience and for the learning that will unfold. More on this topic in the next post on how the food journey has been unfolding :))

When I clean a spill or a diaper, I thank the cloth and bless it, just send it a little rush of love and gratitude energy. As I wash, dry, fold, and put away laundry, I bless the clothing for it's purpose, for it's job that it does for my family. I find myself taking better care of these things.

Substance. That is what I have been lacking in life. Empty calories of energy in my home, empty calories of action in my home. We've been living in a house of things that have a purpose. Now, we are living in a home warm with beloved belongings and gratitude and intention. Many things are handmade and the loving creation and care of them has set a new tone to the energy here. My daughter's bathroom is so inviting now (!!!!!), and inviting and easy to clean :))

This can be applied to almost any task -- driving to run errands, paying bills, cleaning up toys.

Sending many blessings to you, Dear Reader, and from you to your's <3